[ExI] Nobody can say we weren't warned

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Oct 22 23:26:22 UTC 2016

> ?But that's not the chose you've been given, we both know Gary Johnson
> will never be president. The choose you've been given is between somebody
> who wants to torture people and somebody who doesn't, between somebody who
> wants to order the military to murder the children of people he does't like
> and somebody who doesn't, between somebody who doesn't know why we don't
> use nuclear weapons and somebody who does know, between somebody who won't
> obey the order the American people give on November 8 and somebody who will
> obey it even if she doesn't like it. I know which side of history I want to
> be on.

I don't know what country you're living in, but *I* don't get to choose
who'll be the actual president. I get to cast a ballot, and I get to
talk about the possible choices with people I meet and on-line.

On my ballot, I can vote for the candidate that will carry my state, the
other candidate whose votes will be reported everywhere, or one of two
other candidates whose votes will be reported a little less frequently.
I can write in a name that will be completely be ignored, or I can not
vote in a variety of ways. On-line, I can advocate for policies I agree
with and politicians who represent positions roughly in alignment with
my views, or I could advocate for any of several lesser evils.

In the ballot booth, I don't see any advantages for voting for any
candidates who don't at least roughly represent my views. The raw
numbers are always treated as support by politicians and pundits. A vote
for clinton is not read as a vote to keep the country from going to the
dogs, it's read as agreement with her policies on health care, free
trade, international interventions, minimum wages, etc. Why would I add
a single molecule to that side of the scale? The same goes for trump. At
least the day after the election, I'll be able to say "more people voted
for a socially liberal and economically conservative than ever before".
Or at least that I contributed to whatever total there was.

In public advocacy, you can think there's some benefit from keeping one
madman out of the white house, but I'm pretty much as worried about a
self-aggrandizing power-at-any-cost madwoman who wants to double down on
all the mistakes that have been made by the last few administrations. If
I'm going to talk about the consequences a presidential choice can have,
I want to argue for decriminalizing non-violent and economically product
behavior, staying out of other countries, and other values that liberals
and conservatives used to agree with libertarians about.

Chris
  --
Rationality is about drawing correct inferences from limited,
confusing, contradictory, or maliciously doctored facts.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://www.pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com