[ExI] self driving truck

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:23:12 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

​> ​
> What capabilities do people of IQ 85 and below have?  That's about 16% of
> the population

​It's not just those with low IQs whose jobs will be eliminated by AI, this
will effect everyone, and if the computer revolution has taught us anything
it's that our intuition about what tasks are easy and what tasks are
difficult is completely wrong. It turns out that it takes much more
brainpower to tell the difference between a picture of a dog and a picture
of a cat than it does to play a good game of chess. Hedge fund managers
will be replaced before car repair mechanics, and vice-presidents of
Fortune 500 corporations will be replaced before watchsmiths. One of the
last professions to be replaced will probably be care of the elderly, a job
few would want even if the pay were better.

> ​> ​
> So what are we going to do with them in an AI world? Most crime that we
> hear about is blue collar - poor, unemployed, and perhaps unemployable.

​Yes and it's only a matter of ​
​time before ​everybody is unemployable. Pure libertarian dogma has no
answer to this problem, at least none I've seen, that's why I dared to
utter the dreaded words "nanny state". If somebody has a better idea I'm
all ears.

John K Clark