[ExI] self driving truck

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:44:27 UTC 2016

On 30 October 2016 at 15:34, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> What capabilities do people of IQ 85 and below have?  That's about 16% of
> the population that isn't going to get a true high school degree, much less
> a college one.  They can impress you with physical skills but not with
> cognitive ones, the very ones needed for the future.
>
> Throw in another 34%, IQ between 85 and 100, and you have a high school, but
> not college degree.  These are not going to be upper level people in any
> job.  Midlevel at best.
>
> So what are we going to do with them in an AI world?  Most crime that we
> hear about is blue collar - poor, unemployed, and perhaps unemployable.
> Perhaps there would be less of it if we gave everybody a guaranteed income
> (welfare feeds a lot of people but it doesn't pay most bills).
>
> Frankly we have more people at every level than we need, so the long term
> solution is to get them out of the gene pool without creating an evil,
> authoritarian state.
>
> There will be a lot of objections to paying people to stay home and watch
> TV, but what else are we going to do with them?

Remember, under our present system they can all vote! And they are not
voting because they understand complex diplomatic or financial issues.
They may well object to the plans that government makes for them.
That's a problem with democracy. We don't get tyrants or dictators in
government, but our alternatives still end up being pretty bad.

BillK