[ExI] self driving truck

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:57:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 a spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​> ​
> The difference is that state and local governments have the authority to
> tax property rather than just earnings.

State
​ ​
and local governments have no power to tax that the Federal government does
not
​
have, and they can
​
use
​
it whenever
​
they wish.
​
The poor and unemployed are NEVER going to vote for a candidate who says
"as president I will do nothing to help the unemployed nor to narrow the
gargantuan and increasing gap between the rich and the poor, I will leave
that
​problem ​
up to local governments to solve". Instead they will vote for some jackass
who promises to throttle the free market, start international trade wars,
decrease taxes on the rich and eliminate the
​​
inheritance​
tax.
​
True that will only make things worse, a lot worse, but the voters are
angry and Trump is
​
angry
​
too, at leas
​
t he's making angry noises
​
with his mouth that they find soothing
​. T
hey want to see somebody do something, anything. It's not that the voters
are stupid, it's just that under certain circumstances even very
intelligent people can behave illogically. I've seen it happen.

> ​ ​>
> The US Federal government cannot afford it
>> It is already too deeply in debt and cannot even balance its budget

​
As I've pointed out many times
​,​
the
​ ​
US Federal government
​ hasn't balanced ​its budget since 1835 except for the last 2 years of the
administration of the husband of the spawn of Satan, Hillary Clinton.

​> ​
> Should the Federal government try to institute a tax based on what we own,
> capital flees along with the owners of that capital,
>
> ​W
here would all that capital
​go​
 to?
​ ​
Other countries are going to
​be ​
having the exact same problem of massive unemployment and a colossal and
widening gap between the rich and the poor that the USA has
​;​
and I know that Trump keeps saying "We're the highest taxed nation in the
world"
​ but repeating that ​claim doesn't make it true.
In a study of the 39 most economically developed countries in the world the
USA had the 11th lowest taxes.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/11/among-
developed-nations-americans-tax-bills-are-below-average/

​> ​
> Should the Federal government try to institute a tax based on what we own,
> capital flees along with the owners of that capital, it and they cannot
> even be traced.

It works both ways, if the consumers in the USA can't find the capitalists
to tax them then the capitalists won't be able to find the consumers in the
USA to sell to them, and so the capitalists won't remain capitalists for
long. ​

> ​> ​
>> Wealth disappears into forms which do not employ anyone or create new
> wealth.

​If somebody wants to convert their wealth into a form of wealth that
doesn't generate any new wealth that's OK, somebody else with a stronger
desire to make money will pick up the slack and become the next Bill Gates.
It's fine to have rich people but come on, 62 being equal to 3.6 *BILLION*
people is a bit much.

​If I were one of those 62 I'd be calling for change louder than anyone
because I like the fact that there is a connection between my head and my
shoulders and would prefer to keep it that way.​

 John K Clark