[ExI] Enlightenment - was Re: statins

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 00:29:42 UTC 2016

 Do those count?  Should they?  Or can we come up with some kind of
three-fifths compromise for those who cannot name their representative in
congress?  Can you?  (I’m not meaning that as a criticism BillW, for I can
name my senators but cannot name my representative either.)

spike

It appears that you know polls, so let me ask and tell:  do the polls you
know of ask specific questions or go for an overall rating?  In the polls
of my classes using an instrument made by me rather than the
administration, I scored highly on doing my job according to specific
questions (which I can furnish).  But the overall rating was below the
specific rating according to a general question.

So it appears that they could not disapprove of my actual inclass behavior
or requirements or tests, etc. but wanted a way to express some displeasure
with the class, possibly because I was harder than the other two teaching
101.

So it matters a great deal whether the poll just asks for a general
opinion, or a rating on specific behaviors of Congress.

I can see where a person might not know his Congressmen but is expressing
displeasure with Congress as a whole.  He might even know what they are
doing without knowing his own people.  Or he might be just expressing a
dissatisfaction with his own life and blames it on Congress, the President,
the phases of the moon and so on.

Suppose we do a poll.  Ask if they are satisfied with their life in various
categories, and then ask for ratings of various gov. depts.  Now reverse
that order with the other half of the Ss.  I would bet it'll make a big
difference.  (order effects were part of my dissertation)  Good polling is
hard to do.

I have to say that I don't follow the logic of your reversal of who is
ahead Pres or Congress.  If you follow the polls, can you tell me if they
supply you with the actual questions asked?

Cal. has 53 reps, so you can be forgiven for not knowing yours.

bill w