[ExI] The Bomb verses a Email server

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:14:26 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 3:58 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Judgmental
> ​ certainly but intolerant? You have the right to say both God and Donald
> Trump are great, and I have the right to say you're a jackass for saying
> so. ​

The generally accepted definition of the word intolerance is "unwillingness
to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own."

For the record, I don't believe in God and don't think Trump is great, just
wanted to get that off my chest.

> ​> ​
>> I remain curious why if you are asking us to believe that because you
>> think there is a higher than usual probability of a catastrophic outcome
>> (global thermonuclear war), you are not a buyer of Pascal's wager and going
>> to church every Sunday as a result.
>>

> ​I have no idea what the relation to Trump is but I don't buy into
> Pascal's wager because even if there is a God I can see absolutely no ​
>
> ​reason He would consider faith to be a virtue and not a vice. Perhaps God
> values logic and knows He did not provide nearly enough evidence for a
> logical person to conclude He exists, so disbelievers go to heaven and
> believers go to hell. Nor do I think it likely that an omnipotent being
> would be addicted to flattery, especially the insincere Sunday sort coming
> from puny beings like us.

The relation in my feeble mind is that you are asking us to buy into the
same wager, you're playing the Pascal role.