[ExI] rhymes with pneumonia

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 12:56:50 UTC 2016

I tried google with "songs with pneumonia lyric" and mostly got the rockin' pneumonia boogie woogie song I'd never heard of.
I then added "-boogie" in the google search bar and the list shortened to Woody Guthrie's "Dust pneumonia blues", Bjork's "pneumonia" (probably my love of scandinavian pop music influencing the search ranking here) and "I'll never fall in love again." At the sight of "I'll never fall in love again", I immediately recalled the "pneumonia/ never phone ya" rhyme and reckon Spike would have chosen that one.
Spike - you ask why we don't have singers like Dionne Warwick anymore - maybe we do, but you can't hear them over the super-busy production that makes for radio-friendly songs these days? Or maybe we do, but the overall voice/looks/showmanship/media-handling skill package required to be famous as a musician these days is weeding out the strongest singers in favour of those better at gaming the media system? Certainly the best singer I know graduated with her music degree with a minor in business, and is now working in a tax accountant's office rather than risking starving to death if she tried to get a job in classical music or a choir.
Tom