[ExI] If you follow the developments with Tabby's star . .

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Sep 18 23:14:20 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2016 3:59 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] If you follow the developments with Tabby's star . .

On 18 September 2016 at 23:27, spike  wrote:

> Hi BillK, thanks.  I am missing not only a suitable programming
> environment but more important: the Matlab-based proprietary
> thermodynamics package that I could access until about 2013 but cannot
now.

You need to be specific. :)  What thermodynamics package?

The Mathworks HOT Thermodynamic Tools for Matlab is free and compatible with
Octave.

<https://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/26430-hot-thermodynamic
-tools-for-matlab>

HOT is a package originally constructed for combustion modeling in Matlab.
It calculates common thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, specific
heat, entropy, internal energy, gamma, ideal gas constant, molecular weight,
etc... Full documentation is available in multiple formats at

http://hot-tdb.sourceforge.net

The code is also Octave compatible.
----------

BillK

This package I used before was developed by my former employer to be
specific for calculating surface temperatures of stuff in interplanetary
orbit, which was important for the kind of work that project needed.

However, I can see the value of deriving the equations from first
principles, beyond just mathematical hot dogging and such.

Well, OK that's part of it.  Or most of it.  But really this problem is
custom made for those who are in physics graduate school and are trying to
find all the cool stuff you can do with Bessel functions.  Or I might be
over eager to use that particular mathematical weapon just because it is
sharp and cool.