[ExI] Right to Suicide

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Sep 24 22:48:27 UTC 2016

  Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> It's not as simple as that. Most people who try to suicide do it as a
> result of a situational crisis or a depressive illness, which we know will
> pass even with no intervention beyond keeping them from killing themselves
> during the worst moments.

Can you point to evidence of that? Maybe it's the phrase "try to do
suicide". I'd be surprised to find out that people with "depressive
illness" can get their shit together well enough to successfully kill
themselves. I don't have as much doubt that they "try". Is there
evidence that most successful suicides are also the result of transitory
situations?

> Should we instead help all these people to die?

I don't strongly believe that the government or medical practitioners
should help people to commit suicide, it should just not be illegal. I
wouldn't want to make it easy to buy a suicide kit--whatever it
consisted of would be to easy to re-purpose as a murder kit. I just
think doctors should be allowed to counsel people who think it's their
best option, and it shouldn't be criminal to assist them if reasonable
assurances could be provided to the courts that it was their choice. I
think the legal terminology is "a rebuttable presumption".

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://www.pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com