[ExI] circumcision again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:03:38 UTC 2016

We might speculate that it will likely eventually be the anti-Heinlein
situation: those births left entirely to chance will likely be looked down
upon.

I know that isn’t an answer, only an observation.  spike

I think it's a good answer.  In a couple of scifi books I've read
'naturals' compose a control group who suffer allergies and all that
'natural' brings.  I am totally in favor of messing around with the gene
pool.  I do have serious questions as to how we are going to get started on
it (though we already have).

Here's an item I found in Dnut:

DNA Threesome Produces Healthy Three-Parent Baby

Surprise! It has been possible for a child to have three biological
parents since
the 1990s
<http://dailypnut.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e8d181bde02154228dd7d7c0a&id=2ff0f8610b&e=595a16146c>!
But according to a report in New Scientist
<http://dailypnut.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8d181bde02154228dd7d7c0a&id=bd1e739da4&e=595a16146c>,
there is now a *new* method that proved successful earlier this year. A
baby was born in Mexico in May with two biological mothers and one
biological father. The method, which uses a small amount of mitochondrial
DNA from a third parent, is banned in the United States. It was used in
this case to prevent the child from inheriting a disease from its mother.
Critics say there may be numerous unknown failed cases and ethical
questions that still need to be answered
<http://dailypnut.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8d181bde02154228dd7d7c0a&id=f726ec2c98&e=595a16146c>.
The
whole thing really gives a new meaning to the term “ménage à trois.”

Cute, eh?  So getting rid of diseases is going to become old hat real
fast.  But how about improvements?  (Yes, preventing a disease is an
improvement but you won't catch me saying 'positive improvement').  You
can't take mice data for human data, and so any attempt to improve an
embryo is going to be very iffy.  Can you see the pile of legal documents
the parents will have to sign?  Just a few screwups and they'll ban
improvements - not in Mexico or elsewhere, but here.

I am sure Anders can supply us with some ethical question links on this
subject.

bill w