[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 01:36:04 UTC 2017

I'm speaking of the US here, but much of it has been applicable in many
other parts of the world.  There has been an absolutely spectacular
opportunity to own US equities since the financial crisis, and there has
never been a time to do so in such a cheap manner using low commissions and
index fund ETFs with close to zero fees.  There have also been plenty of
high quality companies yielding upwards of 4% in dividends alone throughout
this time period.  Bonds have also returned tremendous amounts of
appreciation over most of this time period (I'm not talking about buying
treasuries to hold until maturity, I'm speaking to capital appreciation in
them).

Robofirms like Betterment combine extremely low management fees with fully
automated investing and tax harvesting using low cost ETFs.   They remove
the excuse of claiming ignorance of how to invest.  A new account can be
opened in 5 minutes, funded, and put on autopilot.

There has been a ton of opportunity (which I believe will continue barring
an unforeseen 5 sigma event) to build up a cushion over time using
equities.  People who refuse to invest in appreciating assets are always
going to be behind the eight ball.

Ridiculously low interest rates have been available to consumers to
purchase or refinance homes.

Credit has still been easily available in the credit card space at very low
rates especially for balance transfers.

The stock market is at new highs, and most economic indicators in the US
are still quite strong/positive.

The stagnation of wages has been a much larger problem for a very long time
for many working class American families, and many of them don't trust the
stock market after the last financial crisis.  I'm not saying all of them
have the cash to spare to invest, but even putting some in on a regular
basis will grow it significantly.  If/when wages pick up, that is one of
the first things they should be doing with the difference.

Sorry, this was a bit of an aside, but I don't believe interest rates were
an unavoidable problem for anyone outside of insurance companies and others
like them that depend on investing policy premiums.  Not putting money into
equities and leaving some of it there regardless of age is one of the
quickest ways to the poor house.  Appreciating assets are key to long term
financial survival.