[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 17:15:18 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

You poke someone who is asleep and get no behavior. You poke them when
> awake and they might poke you back.  Clear link between behavior and
> consciousness/awareness/ alertness/pick your term.  You don't need
> assumptions

You don't need assumptions
​ ​
to know that people in the awake state behave differently than people in
the sleep state, but so what, we're talking about consciousness
​ ​
not behavior. The assumption is so deeply ingrained we seldom even think
about it,
​ ​
but it's there. Most people believe a sleeping person or a rock or a tree
or a human cadaver is not conscious because
​ ​
they
​ ​
implicitly or explicitly
​ ​
assume there is a link between intelligent behavior and consciousness.
Perhaps they're assumption is correct, I have a hunch they might be on the
right track and thus I may not be the only conscious being in the universe
​ after all​
, but neither they nor I will ever be able to prove it.

​ John K Clark​

 ​