[ExI] Dark mass = FTL baryons?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Aug 20 14:35:58 UTC 2017

BillK wrote:

>Even if dark flow exists, (with some speculation around that it could
>another universe touching ours), you still have to think of an
>explanation for why dark matter beyond our visible universe is
>concentrated in that one direction and not evenly spread around the
>edge of our light cone.

Bill, I appreciate your humor, but I want to stress that these
superluminal atoms and molecules are not from another universe. They are
from this very same universe. A universe that experienced a big bang,
where temperatures were around 1.4*10^32 Kelvin.

By Boltzmann's thermal velocity formula, the most probable velocity of
protons at this temperature would be v = sqrt(2K*T/m) where K is
Boltzmann's constant and m is the mass of a proton. The answer to this
admitttedly rough approximation is that the average proton would be going
about 6*10^25 times the speed of light.

Then according to Knuth, we went through an inflationary period where
spacetime expanded faster than light to grow to the point where the far
regions of our universe had lost any causal relationship between them that
they might have had.

Yet 13.8 billion years have passed. Plenty of time for protons going 10^25
times the speed of light to have caught up with us. The amazing thing is
that according to Special Relativity, these protons don't have any clue
that they are going so fast compared to us. Instead, from their own
inertial frame, they are simply at rest, and it is we who are going at
ludicrous speed compared to them.

That means they would have had the luxury of forming atoms and molecules,
stars and planets, and maybe even life. And they are still going at insane
speeds relative to us.

So instead of calling these other inertial reference frames "universes"
let's instead call them causal cells or Lorenz domains or something
similar. They are just more of the same stuff as we, subject to the same
laws of physics as we, travelling extremely fast relative to us.

Note that my idea does not violate the known laws of physics because the
superluminal dark matter never accelerated relative to us. They simply
coalesced out of energy from the big bang already going that speed
relative to us.

>Agreed that dark matter detection is a worrying problem for scientists
>and they hope it may lead to new physics being discovered. But
>particles from another universe travelling faster than light through
>our universe may be a step too far!  :)

Say what you will, my hypothesis does explain a lot. For one thing, my
hypothesis predicts that it is a waste of time looking for dark matter
"particles". Instead, dark matter would only be particles in its own rest
frame. There it would be protons and atoms and such.

In our rest frame, its time axis and space axis would switch places. So it
would appear from our perspective as a "space noodle"  i.e. an atom's mass
distributed in a line many light years long, but very narrow and ephemeral
in our reference frame. As long in light years as it's decay lifetime, but
lasting only as long as it would take for light to traverse its diameter.
For a hydrogen atom that would make it billions of lightyears long, about
100 picometers wide, and lasting around 3.5*10^-19 seconds.

Think of these space noodles as the familiar world-lines of these
particles literally tilted over their side running more or less parallel
to the x-axis and perpindicular to time.

Riddle me this: Gravity crushes everything more massive than the asteroid
Ceres into spheres: Planets, stars, black holes, etc. Why does dark matter
form gigantic filaments with embedded galaxies instead of spheres? Maybe
because it isn't made of particles. . . It's made of space-noodles!

Stuart LaForge

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this publication do not necessarily
reflect the views of the Church of Pastafarianism. ;-)