[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 7 19:15:35 UTC 2017

From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:53 AM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: RE: [ExI] alpha zero

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark

​>>>​…I still haven’t convinced myself it is true. spike

>>…If this is a hoax it's a very elaborate one the likes of which we haven't seen since the cold fusion fiasco. ​…John K Clark ​

>…Ja I could have clarified my doubt a bit.  I don’t suspect an intentional hoax, rather something they neglected to tell us…spike

There is something else.  If someone writes a chess-playing program today that defeats the best effort of the best humans for 500 years, that has been done.  According to the article, what Alpha Zero has done is defeat the collective programming efforts of armies of professional programmers working with huge monetary rewards for the past 75 years, which is far more impressive than overpowering humans in chess.

Something is still not being told here methinks.