[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 8 18:07:38 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Subject: Re: [ExI] alpha zero

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

>>>...assuming they didn't do something to StockFish to artificially weaken it.  I don't have StockFish, so I can't determine that question myself.

>…Why not? It's free.

I have intentionally eschewed it Dave.  Chess is such a cool game, it can devour one’s life.  I might download it to analyze these games however, unless someone beats me to it on game 5.

>>…I can't shake the suspicion that something is amiss.  Evidence to follow.

I should not have used the term “evidence” but rather “indication.”  Evidence proves something, in sufficient quantities.  Indications suggest something, in sufficient quantities.  Read on please.

>…This is from the Stockfish Wikipedia entry, emphasis mine:

  >…Stockfish versus AlphaZero[edit]

>… In a series of twelve 100-game matches against Stockfish starting from popular openings, Alphazero won 290, drew 886 and lost 24.[citation needed]

That would indicate an Elo rating for Alpha of about 3565, waaaay the heck above this year’s TCEC champion Houdini 6.03 with its paltry 3412.

>… The results of the tournaments do not indicate that Alpha-Go is a superior chess engine - the Alpha-Go algorithm was allocated more computing power for the games.[27] Google said they are not commenting on the research until it is published in a journal.[29] The research also has not yet been peer reviewed.[29]

-Dave

Dave, do you play?  What did you think of f5 in this position?  It still loses I think (everything does here) but loses slower than that awful Kh8.  Kh8 looks like something one would find in a basket of deplorables.

Do you have StockFish loaded and ready to run?  Anyone else?

If you can find a way to get StockFish to offer Kh8 here instead of f5, we might be the first ones to indicate all is not what we are being told.