[ExI] alpha zero

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Mon Dec 11 00:40:23 UTC 2017

On 11/12/17 02:42, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:35 AM, Alejandro Dubrovsky
> <alito at organicrobot.com <mailto:alito at organicrobot.com>> wrote:
>
>     ​> ​
>     The 4TPUs were what was used during playing time.
>
> ​And ​
> Stockfish
> ​used​
>   64 CPU cores
> ​.​

Yes. It's hard tell how the two compare. My guess is that the 4TPUs are
doing way more FLOPs than the 64 cores. Just one of the latest TITAN Vs
from Nvidia claims to do 110TF. There's no Intel beast going much past
1TF, and each one of those has 24 CPUs, so max around 3TF in the 64 CPU
cores. I think the assumption that a TPU designed to run neural-network
code can at least keep up with a GPU at neural-network specific code is
reasonable. All of that is a bit misleading since it's much easier to
make close to full use of a CPU than it is of a GPU.

Not that any of that matters much really. Firstly, StockFish can't make
use of GPUs/TPUs nor can any of the other engines. They have no use for
FLOPs at all since it's all integer work.

More importantly, I don't think it really matters whether it can beat
StockFish/Houdini/Komodo/whatever or whether it gets close. The
impressiveness would diminish only very slightly in my eyes if it just
got close (although I can see that it'd make a difference to others, and
this is where the showboating comes in and where denying StockFish an
opening book that it normally uses and this leading to those positions
where StockFish is all tangled up due to a bad opening, just so that
they can claim that it crushed StockFish and show off those strangling
positions does make it a bit mischievious in my view). If all they'd
done is learn to play chess up to around the level of StockFish
completely by self-play in a short amount of time, using a generic
algorithm which they also used to learn Go and Shogi, it'd still be huge
news, and I completely believe that they've done that.