[ExI] Am I the only one freaked out by this? [GOV]

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:42:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the iconic and far-thinking Extropian list, and yet we are going to
> discuss mundane guns?!!!!  I think every citizen should have access to rail
> guns and high powered lasers!  And they will need home nuclear reactors to
> power them...  I am discussing this as a home defense measure, since "every
> man's house is his castle."  And well, you never know when your neighbor
> will decide to come at you with fast attack drones!

It has been noted that the attrition rate of any combat force is a
function of the number of weapons shooting at it.

Just as a theoretical exercise, how many helicopter drones - with a
mix of machine guns and autoloading bazookas, 1 weapon per drone - do
you think it would take to neutralize a typical brigade under ordinary
conditions?  Assume railguns, where the rails are considered part of
the ammunition, for ease of manufacturing.