[ExI] Huxley or Orwell - who got it right?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Feb 5 20:39:25 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2017 10:10 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Huxley or Orwell - who got it right?

>…Spike - you want others to read 1984 - what for?  What are they going to do after reading it?  bill w

​

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> >​

They will read and watch for power grabbers in government, then oppose them at every step.:

​​

​>…But Spike, that has been going on since somebody picked up the first club and bashed an opponent.  Is not every person in gov. a power grabber or attached to one so that some might trickle down?

​So we have a legal system to control that urge to bash as much as possible.

>…Now I can see teaching these things to youngsters, making them pessimistic and cynical before their times…

Nay for an understanding power lust makes them optimistic and cynical.  It is never before their time to be optimistic and cynical.  Teach the young at every opportunity what power does to people.

>…Why shouldn't they see reality after a childhood of fantasy and being kept in a closet, so to speak?  But to anyone over 30, power grabbing is old hat.  No?

No.  Old hat or otherwise, power grabbing is a bad thing.

>…I suggest that what we want is power grabbers who support us and our issues.  The more power they have, the better for us.  Right?  bill w​

On the contrary.  Distributed power is the better for us.  Distributed power takes advantage of distributed smartness and goodness in people rather than contributes to the base passions of the power grabbers.  Power grabbers are already corrupt when they get power; they have a head start on those who go in honest but are corrupted by the morally corrosive influence of power.  Even if they are on your side, power grabbers are really on their own side.