[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:55:07 UTC 2017

Hi Colin,

Thanks for jumping in, and your input is worth much more than $0.02 to me.
I really like what I think you might be saying but I don't yet fully
understand it.  I have the same question Stathis has.

Also, there is something I think everyone is missing, it has to do with how
might we do qualitative observation, or eff the ineffable?  Stathis always
only thinks about "*observable behavior*" which is not qualitative
observation/comparison and assumes a miracle will happen and quali will
arise in some way.  He never includes critically important functionality in
the system, and just swaps the critically important parts out, with neural
substitution, and thinks the problems will resolve themselves in some other
super natural or miraculous way.

You mentioned "compare/contrast behavior of" various systems. But this
doesn't include any method of effing the ineffable.  For example, you could
compare and contrast all the functions of two people's brains as they pick
strawberries.  But how would you know if one person had red/green inverted
qualia from the other.  This is the important functionality Stathis neural
substitutes away in a qualia blind way.

In order to qualitatively observe things or eff the ineffable, you have to
be able to do things like ask: Is your redness more like my redness, or is
it more like my greenness?  There must be qualitative representations of
knowledge, and there must be some way to bind multiple qualitatively
different things together in a way that they produce a composite awareness
of all of the qualities representing the leaves and the strawberries.

You seem to be leaning towards qualia being dependent on brain physics in
some way, as do I.  But I think we must remember that glutamate being what
reprsents redness knowledge in our conscious experience is just a temporary
hypothetical simplified example that provides the required functionality in
a falsifiable way (qualitative representations of knowledge being bound
together into a composite or comparable qualitative experience).  There are
lots of other things you can substitute for glutamate in an effingly
testable way, possibly including something like stathis is proposing.  I
would give anything if I could replace glutamate with some other
"functionally emergent?" neural correlate of a redness quality that was
consistent with the way Stathis thinks about things.  The only problem is,
as far as I can see, it is logically impossible to proved the required
functionality with what stathis is describing - i.e. detectable qualitative
representations of knowledge, and a binding system that can combine them
into qualitatively divers composite conscious experience.  Stathis never
provides a way to not be qualia blind, he never provides a way to eff the
ineffable, and really, there is no detectable qualia in Stathis system, so
there is no way to falsify his way of thinking, or know way to know if
something is picking the strawberries because they are represented with
greenness, or because they are represented with redness.  Within stathis
way of thinking, there is no way to scientifically eff the ineffable or
qualitatively observe anything, resulting in his theory being not
qualitatively testable / comparable.

Brent Allsop