[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:41:52 UTC 2017

Hi Stathis.

Dang, not quite communicating yet.  You keep saying this over and over
again.  I, also, over and over again in reply, try to describe the many
problems that I see with this.  Thanks to all your help, I'm hopefully
getting better each time.  But you never provide any evidence that you
are trying to understand the problems I'm trying to describe.  All you
seem to do is repeat over and over again with your overly simplistic
system that A: the brain is a system made of parts, that B: each part
interacts with neighboring parts, and finally C: if you replace one part
with a different part that interacts with its neighbors in the same way,
then the system as a whole will behave in the same way.

In addition to all the "hard" (as in impossible) problems that result
with your insufficient swapping steps, there is this: I know I (there I
didn't say "we", are you happy John?) can be conscious of 1: redness and
2: greenness at the same time, as a composite experience.  And 3: using
this composite awareness of each of these qualitatively different
functionalities express that they are different.  With the system that
you describe, and the simplistic way you do the do the neural
substitution on "parts" with minimal interactions with their neighbors,
it isn't possible to do the 3 above described functionalities without
completely ignoring them.  You must do a substitution on some kind of
system that has a reasonable chance of modeling the 3 mentioned
functionalities adequately to be able to make any kind of claim that you
know what is going on, phenomenally, with the neural substitution.
Plain and simple, your system is completely qualia blind, like all the
experimental neuro science being done today that I know of.

If you do a neuro substitution on any system which does have sufficient
detail to at least model these 3 necessary functions (my simplified
glutamate theory for example), there will be no "hard problems", and
everything we subjectively know about how we can be aware of diverse
composite qualitative experiences, will be sufficiently modeled.  We
will be able to understand why the simplistic neural substitution of
your system is qualia blind and leads some to think there are "hard
problems".  We will be able to say we understand how these composite
subjective experiences work and why, both subjectively and objectively,
as the neuro substitution progresses.

Brent