[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 04:53:47 UTC 2017

> On 2 Jan. 2017, at 2:33 pm, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've said what I think happens if a digital simulation is repeated multiple times, but either way I don't understand why you think it makes any difference to the validity of computationalism
>
> ### Sorry, I missed your answer to that question. Can you briefly recapitulate it?

I think if there is an exact duplication of a mental state it counts as only one mental state, which I tried to show with the example of parallel circuitry - if it is impossible to tell that there is a subjective difference, then there is no subjective difference. But in your original post on this you suggested that you thought that the ability to duplicate computations might be a mark against computationalism if exact duplication were impossible in biological brains due to continuum physics.