[ExI] Universal basic income

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:32:45 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> I can see that universal unemployment probably means that UBI will
> become necessary. But I can't see where the money to do this comes
> from.

​The lack of sufficient wealth in existence is the very reason ​
Universal
​Basic Income didn't come into being a long time ago. If it's still
indefeasible in the near future there can only be 2 reasons for that:

​1) The machines a​re still incapable of generating enough wealth by
themselves, in which case there are still plenty of jobs for humans and the
need for a UBI is less urgent.

​2) The machines can generate enough wealth by themselves but they choose
not to give us any of it.

​I thought reason #1 would hold for a long time but it now looks like its
life expectancy will be much ​shorter than I thought. As for reason #2,
there is little we can do about it except hope for the best so no point in
worrying about it.

 John K Clark