[ExI] AI wins at Poker now!

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 00:39:43 UTC 2017

I can easily imagine that scenario playing out in one sport after another,
then in the trades and crafts.  spike

Now I can see AI doing fashion design and fabrics, wood carving, basket
weaving ("I just got out of basket therapy and I'm still weaving") and many
more, but not sports.

The whole point of sports is to go man to man, woman to woman, team to
team.  I have no doubt robots could be made that will beat the best
players, but that loses the whole point of sports.

I also think AI can do visual arts that are indistinguishable from human
productions (as are some art works by elephants and monkeys), primarily
because the visual arts have lost their way and just gone crazy.  Some AI
music is/will be good.  Perhaps not great, though who can tell anymore in
the pop area?  Avant garde classical already sounds like it was computer
written.

Now here is what I would be totally shocked by:  an AI decides to write a
poem or sonata or draw a picture without any input from humans, and does so
after much research into those areas without being told to do so.
Unprogrammed initiative.

I think the point at which we should be shocked at what AI can do is in the
past.  Or in the case of the paragraph above, far in the future.

bill w