[ExI] Primordial Black Holes

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 17:24:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Would that be dark matter in the usual sense of the term -- as in an
> exotic form of matter we expect to be very different from quarks and
> leptons even when they're collapsed into a black hole?

No, in this view there is no exotic form of matter there is just regular
matter and Primordial
​ Black Holes formed before there were stars or atoms or even protons and
electrons and everything was just a Quark-Gluon Plasma with things so
chaotic that some places became dense enough to become Black Holes.

But not all Black Holes are primordial, just a few days ago there was a
article in The
​ ​
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
​ ​
about a star called
​ ​
N6946-BH1, it is 22 million light years away and is at least 25 times as
massive as our sun. It's luminosity stayed constant from 1999 to 2009 but
then started to brighten, at it's peak it was one million times as bright
as the sun, that's bright but not supernova bright, they can be 100 billion
times brighter; still it was churning out lots of optical and ultraviolet
light, and then overnight it just disappeared. No explosion, no supernova,
just gone. It seems to have gone directly from a star to a Black Hole
skipping the supernova stage entirely . All that can be seen now is a very
faint infrared glow probably caused by a small amount of debris
​ ​
forming a accretion disk around the Black Hole.

John K Clark