[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:27:36 UTC 2017

Modern people can learn online all the stuff we ancients learned the
traditional way at enormous expense.

 spike

Long ago, when people were still people (around 1966 for me), at the U of
Alabama they put in a TV course for Psych 101.  My job was to take roll and
turn on the TV.  50 minutes later I turned it off.  Prof was not the most
exciting teacher, I admit.  But at the end of the semester the survey
showed that about 90% of the students hated the course taught that way.  I
could stop the tape and answer questions but nobody ever asked.

So some people can sit and watch a screen and learn just as well, but maybe
some can't.  Maybe what is needed is to greatly increase the amount of
money paid to these teachers, so we can get the very best ones - ones who
may not want to go to a classroom etc. but who will go to a studio and
record everything there, preferably in front of some students who can ask
penetrating questions.  That way the evaluation is done before the class is
even taught, by the students who  attended the recording.

There are many things wrong with college education and expense is a major
one.  If basics are taught, the famous prof gets a big chunk of money, but
his lectures are vetted and can be used for several years, or even nearly
forever if something like Shakespeare or trig is taught.  The best teachers
can make big differences in motivation and understanding.

Why not do like the old lawyers did:  study it on their own and pass the
bar exam?  No law school courses needed.  Why couldn't this be done for
math and many other subjects?

Labs are not mentioned.  Aren't they useful in many cases?  Take chemistry
online and never get the opportunity to blow up the lab?

bill w