[ExI] brave new world in education

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 29 03:24:33 UTC 2017

Subject: Re: [ExI] brave new world in education

https://qz.com/1016900/tracy-chou-leading-silicon-valley-engineer-explains-why-every-tech-worker-needs-a-humanities-education/

>…In 2005, the late writer David Foster Wallace delivered a now-famous commencement address…But it is never too late to be curious. Each of us can choose to learn, to read, to talk to people, to travel, and to engage intellectually and ethically. I hope that we all do so—so that we can come to acknowledge the full complexity and wonder of the world we live in, and be thoughtful in designing the future of it…  Dave Sill’s quoted article by Tracy Chou

What if… we decided to teach humanities to the technogeeks, but instead of the usual curriculum taught by the usual suspects, we put the science, technology, engineering and math departments together and have them decide on a curriculum, completely open blank slate, have them choose from among their own STEM-oriented profs to teach it, decide on what to teach, what materials to use, everything, hand it over to that end of campus.

What would the course look like?

We can pretend we are those professors, so we get a say in what goes into that STEM-derived humanities course.  What would you suggest putting in there?

I would have Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four.  But you already knew I would have that one, ja?

Others?