[ExI] brave new world in education

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:04:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> What if… we decided to teach humanities to the technogeeks, but instead of
> the usual curriculum taught by the usual suspects, we put the science,
> technology, engineering and math departments together and have them decide
> on a curriculum, completely open blank slate, have them choose from among
> their own STEM-oriented profs to teach it, decide on what to teach, what
> materials to use, everything, hand it over to that end of campus.

Well, any attempt to broaden education would probably be worthwhile, but
for the full effect I think it needs to be an immersive experience guided
by experienced teachers. It's not just about reading literature, it's about
writing papers, learning logic, learning to discuss/debate ideas, etc.

What would the course look like?

> We can pretend we are those professors, so we get a say in what goes into
> that STEM-derived humanities course.  What would you suggest putting in
> there?
>

> I would have Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four.  But you already knew I would
> have that one, ja?
>

> Others?

Brave New World, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird, ... I
could go on.

-Dave