[ExI] Trump on ​linear induction motors ​

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 16:07:17 UTC 2017

On Jun 29, 2017, at 8:45 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> ​​>> ​Doesn't it bother you that the most powerful man in the world is an idiot?​
>>
>> ​> ​Doesn't it bother that there should be a most powerful person in the world?
>
> ​Certainly not!  People have power. There are a finite number of people in the world. Therefore I logically conclude one of them must be the most powerful or is in a tie for being the most powerful.

Political power simply shouldn't exist. But fair enough. But do you think there should be anyone with such overwhelming power? This isn't like the president simply has a tiny bit more power than you or me. Instead, she or he can order the death of millions. Such power is dangerous...

> And I think it would be rather nice if that most powerful person wasn't a anti-intellectual scientific nincompoop who is unable to tell the truth.

... and it's foolish to believe that such concentrated power existing in the first place will be unlikely to attract the wrong people -- whether the wrong people are themselves fools or, maybe worse, crafty sociopaths.

>> ​> ​I believe Dave is against the US elite projecting force
>
> ​Fine, but I can find little evidence that the US elite​'s desire to ​project ​its ​force​ is going away, and even less evidence that Donald Trump wants it to. ​

The elite's desire will not likely go away, but can't each of us at least try to undermine the means?

>> ​> ​Aircraft carriers in particular are really just big floating offensive weapons used to keep imperial subjects in line.
>
> ​Maybe so, but if you want to keep​ ​imperial subjects in line big floating offensive weapons seems​ to be the way to do it.​

Why would _you_ want imperial subjects kept in line? You want to live under a well-oiled authoritarian regime?

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst