[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:18:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

​> ​
> It's not immediately obvious that the belief that consciousness is only
> generated by biological systems is wrong.

​It is also
 not immediately obvious that the belief that consciousness is only
generated by
​ME ​
is wrong.
​ I think both possibilities are ​equally likely.

> ​> ​
> If you have this belief then you would be reluctant to accept
> non-biological brain implants proved to lead to no behavioural change,

​Yes, so during the Singularity people who have that belief will become the
equivalent ​
of the Amish (if they are lucky) and be left in the dust by those who think
Darwin's ​theory is correct and thus see no reason not to have electronic
upgrades for their brain. So even in the unlikely
​event​
it's true believers in the consciousness
​is​
 substrate specific
​ meme have no future.​

 John K Clark