[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 22:57:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 John K Clark wrote:

​>> ​It's not immediately obvious that the belief that consciousness is
only generated by biological systems is wrong.

> ​It is also not immediately obvious that the belief that consciousness is
only generated by ​ME ​is wrong.​ I think both possibilities are ​equally
likely.

​>> ​If you have this belief then you would be reluctant to accept
non-biological brain implants proved to lead to no behavioural change,

​> Yes, so during the Singularity people who have that belief will become
the equivalent ​of the Amish (if they are lucky) and be left in the dust by
those who think Darwin's ​theory is correct and thus see no reason not to
have electronic upgrades for their brain. So even in the unlikely ​event​
it's true believers in the consciousness ​is​ substrate specific​ meme have
no future.​

The point I was making is that the implausible idea that evolution chanced
upon the only way to produce consciousness leads to the even more
implausible idea that consciousness is independent of brain function.

--
Stathis Papaioannou