[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 22:06:41 UTC 2017

Hi Status,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think you imagine that if glutamate is changed and glutamate is
> responsible for red qualia, then distal parts of the system (such as those
> reporting red qualia) will change even if all the physical interactions of
> the glutamate substitute are the same. But that is impossible.

Ha, with this I think I’ve caught you in another clear example of the
isolationist mistake you are making.

If glutamate was redness, then the one neuron representing the one voxel
element representing the one spot on the surface of the strawberry, would
be firing on all of its many, maybe even tens of thousands of its
downstream synapses with glutamate.  And if you changed glutamate, with
glycene in any one of those synapses, the entire system would be screaming:
“Wait, back up, that glycine isn’t anything like it’s neighboring redness
glutamate, until you replace that incorrect glycine in that one synapse,
and interpreted it qualitatively correctly, by interpreting it back to real
redness, um I mean real glutamate.  Then you would have to repeat this same
problem, until you replace all the glutamate, um a mean redness detectors
in the entire brain, all in one big substitution step, and only then
replace the entire comparison system, including all memory of glutamate, I
mean redness, with glycine.  And only then, with that massive substitution
(it sucks how this massive substitution requirement always gets left out of
your simplistic example), would you finally be able to have it substituted
to be a qualia (or oneness and zeroness) invert where greenness, and all
memory of such, has been replaced with redness, (or oneness) and visa versa.

Sorry I can’t say it better than that right now.  John or Ben, does that
make any sense, whatsoever?  I’ll work on improving the way I say it.

Brent