[ExI] Translation AI (was dying?)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:11:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 7:21 AM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So maybe it's not a very long hop to attaching/implanting/messing with the
> genes, organic radios to/in our brains.  That would give us two parts of the
> electromagnetic spectrum (light of course).  Couple that with an organic
> radio transmitter and you have unbelievable numbers of applications.  Plus,
> you won't have to worry about the interface between organic/neurons/glial
> cells, and electronics.  bill w

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's easy.  It's a long hop to
doing it via DNA.

That said, extra-bandwidth perception has been contemplated in sci-fi
for a long tie.

Directly linking brains by radio has been considered so often it even
has a name: "radiotelepathy".  It was a minor plot element in a RPG I
ran not too many years ago.

> The plasticity would be great and I am not opposed to faster neurons, but
> have this question:  how many great ideas, or even very good ones, sprang
> into our heads like the benzene ring?  I get the idea that great discoveries
> took lots of time, years even, to ferment and find final form, which morphed
> into variations, applications, etc.  I am not so sure that more speed would
> be an advantage in the creative part - maybe in the rote memory part.
>
> So I am not sure that faster would be better.  We'll never compete with PCs.

Who says competition is necessary?  Merge with: let our PCs handle the
things they are good at while our brains (or emulated versions
thereof) handle the things we are good at, and improve both sides.