[ExI] 48th anniversary of apollo 10

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 19 16:33:35 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 8:42 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] 48th anniversary of apollo 10

On 19 May 2017 at 15:33, spike  wrote:
>>... Ja, it depends on how you look at it.  I have been into computers as a

> hobby since they first showed up in 1978, reject Apple II motherboards
which overheated in test.
> I was hooked the first time I saw one operate: motorized algebra!
> Back in those days, a fortune would buy very little computing power.
> From that view, theirs was funny money, ours is real.
>

>...Computers are a special case (as you know, of course).
In 1972 an 18oz. box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes cost 37 cents. In 2014 it cost
$4.19.

Ja.  My farmer friend likes to point out that in both cases, the box
contains less than 2 cents worth of corn.

>...On the other hand if you go back in time you could buy many things that
you can't nowadays (legally, anyway).
e.g. slaves, laudanum, radium watches, lead pipes, etc. etc...

All of these, including slaves, can be bought today, just not in any country
in which you would want to live.

>...Your childhood riches would have bought chocolate bars beyond the dreams
of avarice.  :)

>...BillK

Ja, I was never that much of a chocolate fan, but oh boy, if I had access to
the computers and learning opportunities modern children have, I would never
want to grow up.