[ExI] Translation AI (was dying?)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 20 17:00:56 UTC 2017

 On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:12 AM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> (out of all the hundreds of scifi books I've read I don't know how I missed
> radiotelepathy)

It's a rare concept, and I am not certain "radiotelepathy" is in fact
the dominant term for it.  But I've seen it in multiple places.

> I fully agree.  But a lot of people seem to be so impatient to hook
> themselves up to PCs and whatnot to improve their abilities, then get
> implants, etc.  What for?

To improve their abilities, presumably.

> Intro courses are for learning basic terminology, facts, and theories.  Some
> rote memory testing is inevitable, but I say leave that behind as fast as
> possible and get to the 'learning to learn' that you mentioned.

FWIW, https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn is one form
of what I'm talking about.  Anyone generally capable of taking an
online course (for instance, literate in the traditional and computer
senses) can skip to this right away.  (I double-checked the link, and
there may be a paywall now, but when I took this course it was free.
There might still be an option to take the course w/out the
Certificate they're mentioning.)

I would not mind hearing others' opinion of the course (as revised:
it's been a while since I took it), if anyone wants to try.