[ExI] tabby's star dimming again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 21 16:28:07 UTC 2017

On 21 May 2017 at 16:57, Stuart LaForge  wrote:
> That simply means that 1480 years ago a not-impossible ET might have been
> what like 5% finished with a Dyson swarm?
>
> How are we going to see a Von-Neumann probe on the horizon? They could
> have built those at type 1 on the K-scale. I certainly wasn't referring to
> wetware ET.

Space is BIG. There would be no reason for them to decide to send a
probe specifically to us. If they decided to send probes to every star
within 1500 light years, that would be an impossibly huge energy
expenditure.
Perhaps we might expect to see changes in star systems nearer to
tabby's star. A civilisation advanced enough to build a Dyson swarm
and send out probes might be changing other star systems as well.
And travel at light speed may not be possible anyway. (Dust, cosmic rays, etc.).
Say, maybe, 10% of light speed might be possible. But such high speed
travel will probably make quite a spectacle of itself, that we might
notice. Propulsion systems, radiation screens, heat effects from
traveling through the interstellar medium, etc.

If it is possible, it's not a problem for Trump anyway.  Maybe for the
robot Trump, 10,000 years from now........  :)

BillK