[ExI] tabby's star dimming again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun May 21 17:16:46 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 12:28 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Space is BIG.

​Well, there does seem to be a awful lot of it.​

​> ​
> There would be no reason for them to decide to send a
> ​ ​
> probe specifically to us. If they decided to send probes to every star
> ​ ​
> within 1500 light years, that would be an impossibly huge energy
> ​ ​
> expenditure.

​
Not so. A Von Neumann probe would only weigh a few ounces, perhaps less,
and they'd only have to send one probe to one star. Even if that probe
moved no faster than our Voyager spacecraft (a ridiculously conservative
estimate I think) a probe could be in every star system in the Galaxy in
just a blink of an eye, about 50 million years, and the Milky
​ ​
Way
​ ​
would be transformed into a structure obviously built by intelligence. It
wouldn't be anything subtle
​s​
o why don't we see that?

John K Clark