[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun May 21 23:17:21 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:58 PM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  sb  I really should go to college >.<
>
> adrian wrote
>
> Despite what you may hear from others, college is usually a worthwhile
> investment of time and money - so long as you major in something you
> will likely be using in your career.  (So: "fill-in-the-field
> engineering" yes, "fill-in-the-human-type studies" no.)
> -
> -----------------
>
> I could not disagree with Adrian more.  Of course as a college professor I
> could be biased.

Actually, we mostly agree: college is worthwhile. ;)  (I have to slap
that "usually" disclaimer on because there are always exceptions, for
large enough populations.  But those exceptions probably do not apply
to any member of this list.)

And yeah, do take some courses outside of major.  Those will help.
But the best value for money when attending college is if you major in
something career-related, so you get that *and* become more
well-rounded (which specifically includes being better prepared to
cope with all the various circumstances life will throw your way).

> I read where some medical schools are urging the college age person not to
> take all chemistry and biology etc., but to get outside their future area of
> expertise

I thought most colleges simply did not allow one to graduate with all
science/engineering courses - or with no science/engineering courses.
"A little of this, a little of that, and a lot of your major" seemed
to be the requirement no matter whether you majored in engineering,
arts, humanities, or anything else.