[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Mon May 22 11:59:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Imagine if you were to build a city for 100,000 from nothing - around
> some new mining or other rich, fixed-location resource, for an excuse,
> or if you were just handed design responsibilities for one of the new
> cities China's popping up all over the place in anticipation of future
> population.  (If you haven't heard of those, google "China ghost
> cities".)  How would you plan it?

I'm going to do some noodling and some research, and I'll get back to
you on this later. I have some initial thoughts, but I'd like to be
able to give a more detailed response. This might take me a few weeks.

> Despite what you may hear from others, college is usually a worthwhile
> investment of time and money - so long as you major in something you
> will likely be using in your career.  (So: "fill-in-the-field
> engineering" yes, "fill-in-the-human-type studies" no.)

For a long time I've been interested in materials science, and the
design of closed live-work situations, such as space stations,
bunkers, battleships and submarines. Of course I have my hobbies, but
there is no need to get a degree in a hobby.