[ExI] tabby's star dimming again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon May 22 21:21:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Well somebody had to be first and so maybe we are the second.

​So in a observable universe ​
 27,600,000,000 light years in diameter the only other technological
civilization just happens to be only 1480 light years away and Kepler just
happened to find it even though it was looking at 1/400 of the sky and it
just happened to find it when ET had the technological chops to build 5% of
a Dyson Sphere but no more? Doesn't seem very likely. ​

> How many
> ​ ​
> yellow dwarves are THAT much closer to them than we are?

That's another problem, Tabby's Star
​ ​
it's not a G class yellow star like our sun, it's a larger F class white
star with about 1.43 times the mass of the sun. Even a small increase in
mass causes a star to burn a lot bright and die much younger, I uses a star
lifetime calculator

http://mrphome.net/starlifecalculator.htm

​and ​it said the lifetime of a star of that mass would only be about 40%
that of our sun, so
Tabby's Star
​ must be much younger than our sun, too little time I think for Evolution
to produce beings smart enough to build 5% of a Dyson Sphere. ​

John K Clark