[ExI] bug eating again, was: RE: tabby's star dimming again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 25 17:15:01 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:58 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] tabby's star dimming again

spike wrote - but consider how gross a prawn looks

A friend found out that deveining a shrimp did not mean taking out a vein but a gut.  It totally grossed him out, finding out that he had been eating shrimp shit for decades.

bill w

Billw, it was a teaching/learning moment for your friend.

Food and our perceptions of the enjoyment of eating are mostly all in the mind.  Your friend never suffered one bit of health problems from devouring shrimp, ja?  They taste great, deveined or otherwise.  The human digestive system doesn’t seem to care what we throw down there; it does its thing.

If your friend is squicked by shrimp, do suggest he not study into sausage and how it is made.  Suffice it to say the slaughterhouse doesn’t waste food.  It takes the bacon, the shoulder roast meat, the shanks, the ribs, all the good ham and pork that can be sold in a styro package with plastic wrap, pickles the feet and snout (which go to local Vietnamese groceries) and some take even the swine’s ovaries (for stew).  Then eeeeeverything else goes into a boiling vat.  Whatever can’t be ground and spiced enough to go into sausage gets fed back to the hogs.

OK then: how many of us here have suffered any gastronomic distress from eating sausage?

I haven’t either.  I like sausage, I like pepperoni, all the revolting yet tasty stuff they make with cleverly-spiced porcine bio-garbage.

The notion of eating bugs really warms on a prole once she really starts to think hard about how efficient they are at converting inedible stuff into questionably edible stuff.  If nothing else, perhaps we can feed the bugs to the hogs then devour the hogs.