[ExI] Trilemma of Consciousness

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun May 28 01:39:23 UTC 2017

​I don't understand why so many people believe consciousness is harder to
achieve than intelligence. ​

​John K Clark​

Maybe I missed something.  'Achieve' consciousness?  What does that even
mean?  In an AI, OK, got it.  In a person it makes utterly no sense.

Intelligence, depending on the definition, is not something that is
achieved.  Mainly genetic.  Learning millions of facts does not make us
smarter than encyclopedias.

If we could agree on some definition of consciousness, then we might be
able to program it, but not until then.

So - what characteristics define consciousness in an AI?  Step one.
Determine if an AI has those.  Step 2.  So it either does or it doesn't.
Of course then the battle starts as to whether the definition of
consciousness is correct, when an AI shows some but not all of the
characteristics.

In all of these discussions I have not seen a definition for people.  What
characteristics do we have to find to determine whether a person is
conscious?  Just someone tell me why we don't have to start here.

bill w