[ExI] addiction solution?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:55:38 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 at 8:10 pm, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Dan and Dave - I just don't know where my mind went.
>
> Here is another/new addiction problem:  doctors never, in my experience,
> suggest meds other than prescription ones which Big PHarm pays them to push.

Drug companies try to influence doctors with advertising claiming efficacy
for their drug, but how do they pay them to push the drug? I know some
doctors who go to great length to avoid any contact with drug company reps
and avoid any events or perks (such as lunch) that might come from drug
companies, but they still end up prescribing the same drugs.

I got off Naproxen (did I post that?) when the People's Pharmacy, which I
> do trust, posted a scary journal article about nsaids.  No osteoprthritis
> pain came back, apparently because I also have been taking curcumin and
> boswellia - anti-inflammatories.

If there are no good systematic studies of these, how do you know that they
work and it isn’t just placebo effect, and that they don’t cause some other
long term side-effect? If you stopped the naproxen and nothing happened
then I suspect if you stopped the curvumin and boswellia (which seem quite
a bit more expensive than naproxen on a cursory online search), or replaced
them with something else such as green tea, nothing would happen.

I think a lot of people have stories like this, and get their info from

--
Stathis Papaioannou