[ExI] Cryonics for uploaders discussion: Video (John Clark)

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:29:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Re Rose <rocket at earthlight.com> wrote:

​>​
>  I imagine a scenario where a backup copy is uploaded to a host. Upon
> reanimation it will be completely convinced its consciouness is as the
> person who was uploaded. Why shouldn't it be?

For exactly precisely was the same reason Regina was convinced she was the
same conscious person she was when she awoke this morning as she was when
she went to bed last night.

> ​> ​
> IMHO, the only individual who will even be able to know if the copy is in
> fact "you" will be you

If there is a backup copy that means "you" duplicating machines are
available, and that means it would no longer be possible to point to
something and say "that and only that is
​​
you". Once nanotech powered "you" duplicating machines are invented the
English language is going to need a major revision, particularly in the way
it uses personal pronouns.

> ​>​
>  a copy will not be able to tell.

Yes exactly, the copy could not tell the difference and neither could
anybody else. If subjectively it make no difference and objectively it
makes no difference then I have no choice but to conclude it just makes no
difference.

​>​
 Only your subjective, internal experience will allow you to be sure if it
is you,
​

Yes, the only reason I am sure I am the same person i was yesterday is
because I remember being John Clark yesterday.

​>​
>  and that agent will not be able to convince anyone else (including
> copies) of that.

In the future if something looks and behave like John Clark other people
will be convinced it is John Clark, no different than how things are right
now.

John K Clark​