[ExI] Electoral College

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Aug 23 19:51:51 UTC 2018

I wrote:

>They are all smart, ethical, honorable people who put their butt on
>the line and take their oaths of office very seriously.

John Clark replied:

>Most are but some are not, General Flynn was not honorable and
>General Kelly is not honorable, and those are exactly the sort of
>military men that Trump seeks out and promotes in his administration.

Flag officers (O-7 and above, i.e., the grades of general or admiral)
are implicitly political beasts. They are usually all more
politicians than soldiers.

The ranks that matter for freedom are the field-grade officers, O-4
to O-6. In the USA, USAF, and USMC, that's major, lieutenant colonel,
and colonel. In the USN and Coast Guard, that's lieutenant-commander,
commander, and captain.

They're called field-grade because they are the ones who are actually
leading in battle, with rare exceptions. The ones who shed the blood.
You can also recognize them by reading their fruit salad. The
politician in uniform is festooned with I-was-there ribbons. The
actual warriors have the ribbons for valor. They tend to be
troublemakers who aren't politic enough to make BG.

More than the ranks above or below, their fealty to the country and
the Constitution is our safeguard.

Them, and the senior NCOs, who actually make things happen at an
ossifer's behest.

-- David.