[ExI] playing psychologist

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 04:51:00 UTC 2018

> Should we make it legal to own nuclear bombs?  How about .50 caliber
>> machine guns?  Or, what about sarin?  Sell it at 7/11?

Well, 50 cal machiene guns manufactured before the 1980s are actually legal
in my state (Texas), as far as I can tell.

But I think there is a difference beween nukes (kill millions potentially),
sarin (kill thousands potentially), 50 cal machiene guns (kill hundreds
potentially), and hard drugs. If one were manufacturing drugs, it might be
possible to kill a few dozen, the same if one were high. I mean, they
clearly ruin lives, kill people, and destroy families. I'm not saying that
they're safe or fun recreational items. They are incredibly addictive and
destructive, both to mental and physical health, as well as quality of
life.

But even if they should be illegal (which I would support under the
"threatened compliance" model above), they're not really comparable in
destructive power to nukes or sarin. A case could be made for comparing
them to 50 cal machiene guns though.