[ExI] focus

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:30:59 UTC 2018

There are many skills required to be good at programming. Essential ones
that I think current kids are not taught is rigorous deductive reasoning,
precision in thought, attention to detail, and objective consideration of
evidence.
--  David.

Why would you limit these skills to programmers?  These are the very
foundations of scientific thinking.  The bee in my bonnet several times in
this group has been to decry the absence of teaching thinking in school.
We teach superstitions practically from birth.  Should we wait until
college to provide means of disputing superstitions and religions?  Even
there I have seen curricula that are very wanting in such, unless the
principles are taught in science classes, which I certainly did ab ovo.

The reason for the lack of these classes must be the opposition of the
superstitious and religious - am I right?  They don't want any opposition
to their precious ideas and ways, since these were handed down by God.
Hence religion is not taught either.

It is a wonder to me that we get as many rational people as we do.  I had
one friend tell me that he never believed any of it, starting with Santa
Claus.  No one helped him - he just had a good brain and used it.

I have to wonder if societies in which religion is actively suppressed,
like China, have a larger percentage of young people who can think
correctly.  As a libertarian I am opposed to suppression, but the reasons
for it are sound.  I wonder about the outcome.

bill w