[ExI] Human Body redesign (Was: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 179, Issue 29)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Aug 30 18:45:06 UTC 2018

BillK wrote:
> Back in June 2018 BBC TV showed a 1hr 30m documentary about
> redesigning the human body, with rather weird results.
> An article describing the redesign is here:
> <https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-06-13/this-is-what-the-perfect-body-looks-like-according-to-science/>
>
> The film is not currently available from the BBC, but a search offers
> various download and torrent sites if you want to watch it.

That's not really what I'm talking about. First, there's no such thing
as 'perfect', especially when applied to bodies. Second, this just
mashes together existing features found in various animals, with little
actual reasoning behind it. it hardly qualifies as a 'design'. Third,
there's no mention of how this, if it was desirable, could be
accomplished. Fourth, it's purely biological, and doesn't really
represent much (or any) of an advance on what we have now. Fifth,
there's no detail at all (skin that can change colour, fine. But how
does it work? How is it controlled? How does this relate to the other
functions of skin, etc., etc.). Sixth, there's no mention of how someone
could actually achieve such a body, and Seven, it's basically just a
freak show designed to get people to watch a TV programme, with very
little actual science or engineering behind it.

Oh, and apologies for making a mess of the topic title. Again.

--
Ben Zaiboc