[ExI] Human Body redesign (Was: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 179, Issue 29)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:33:59 UTC 2018

On 30 August 2018 at 19:45, Ben Zaiboc  wrote:
> That's not really what I'm talking about. First, there's no such thing as
> 'perfect', especially when applied to bodies. Second, this just mashes
> together existing features found in various animals, with little actual
> reasoning behind it. it hardly qualifies as a 'design'. Third, there's no
> mention of how this, if it was desirable, could be accomplished. Fourth,
> it's purely biological, and doesn't really represent much (or any) of an
> advance on what we have now. Fifth, there's no detail at all (skin that can
> change colour, fine. But how does it work? How is it controlled? How does
> this relate to the other functions of skin, etc., etc.). Sixth, there's no
> mention of how someone could actually achieve such a body, and Seven, it's
> basically just a freak show designed to get people to watch a TV programme,
> with very little actual science or engineering behind it.
>
> Oh, and apologies for making a mess of the topic title. Again.

There was more detail in the 1.5 hour documentary.
Professor Roberts knows her stuff.  :)
Luckily she has written about her body improvements here:
<https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/making-the-perfect-body/>

The skin colour change works the same way that the octopus species does it.
Basically she is redesigning poor bits of human evolution and also
taking the 'best' bits from other species and adapting them for use by
humans.
Her blog report explains her reasoning.

BillK