[ExI] The Doomsday Clock

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 20:58:04 UTC 2018

On Jan 30, 2018, at 2:45 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Christian Saucier <csaucier at sovacs.com> wrote:
>
>>>   ​> ​The solution to world peace and nuclear annihilation will not come from wall street and nation states.  We need alternatives.
>
> ​Wall Street? I knew you didn't like nation states but I didn't know you don't like capitalism either. ​What do you like?

If by capitalism you mean free markets, then being pro-free markets almost certainly means being anti-Wall Street. And libertarians should, in my opinion, be pro-free markets not pro-business. What Wall Street tends to favor is government favors not free markets.

>> ​> ​Nation states as we know them today will not survive the move to peer-to-peer electronic money, exchanges,
> Christian​, I joined this list a quarter century ago long before bitcoin, and from day one I heard about the Crypto ​revolution that was about to happen. And even before that way back in 1988 Timothy C May wrote his "Crypto Anarchist Manifesto​" ​and I was very impressed by it's opening line:
>
> "A specter is haunting the modern world, the specter of crypto anarchy."
>
> We were all sure it was just about to happen any day now, b​ut​ here we are in 2018 and nation states are stronger than ever. Like it or not nation states​ aren't going​ away anytime soon, we're just going to have to deal with it. ​

I happen to also agree that crypto-currency is unlikely to deal real damage to states. If it were, I imagine governments like the US and UK would simply use the “terrorists are being funded through it” excuse to persecute people involved. Yeah, they wouldn’t catch everyone, but it would likely stifle the movement.

Also, currency failures don’t always bring down governments. Zimbabwe’s rulers certainly had little trouble staying in power while they wrecked the currency.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my latest Kindle book "Sand Trap":
http://mybook.to/SandTrap