[ExI] de Waal

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 22 21:45:15 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] de Waal

But to offer them 72 virgins or an eternal afterlife was cheap.

Somewhere in this discussion I am looking for the notion that religious people work together well as a team.

spike

>…But the concept of soul had to exist first, right? bill w

Hmmm, not necessarily.  There are some modern forms of religion that do not have the concept of a soul or a spirit.  Example: Seventh Day Adventist.  The teaching is that in some future time, humans who faithfully donate money to the Seventh Day Adventists, plus a smattering of others, will be recreated out of atoms in a matter and energy world.  After death and before that future even, they “exist” as a memory (God’s) so one might say they have a dormant software phase, followed by a subsequent re-hardwared eternity.

It is possible the old-timers went the same route: promising their soldiers there would be a literal physical resurrection, along with all those beautiful girls (you brave young men will be eternal Hugh Hefners (oh my, where’s my sword…))  Could be the whole notion of a soul was an after-thought, perhaps invented by the Essenes (notice the Old Testament doesn’t really have that soul business in there.)